windowlights

windowlights

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Step on a Crack

My mother is walking crooked again. She has slipped another disc in her back and she is in a great deal of pain. She can hardly move at all. Most of the time, she has to lie completely flat on her bed, because it hurts too much for her to sit upright or to walk. When she does walk, she uses a cane and limps while her back curves outward, like a question mark. She is waiting to get in to a hospital for another spinal surgery; her fourth in less than five years.

My mother lies in bed with her eyes closed to block out the daylight. She puts her hand to her forehead. She says, I don’t know how to make this stop. Neither do I. So we make phone calls to doctors and chiropractors and get referrals to surgeons in Denver and California and Arizona. We make phone calls. We leave messages. We wait.

Outside, autumn storms drift in from the north and the west. Gray clouds swarm the horizon and the sky starts spitting rain. All of the leaves are floating down from their branches; quiet winds sweep away the last remaining flecks of yellow from pale Aspen limbs.

Lately, all of my dreams are in black and white. In my most recent dream, I am sitting on a bench next to a forgotten set of crumbling train tracks. Everything is gray and colorless, except for a single, rust orange leaf stuck on the corroding railroad ties. I am alone in an empty field, waiting for a train that never comes. Behind me, through a speaker mounted on the rooftop of an abandoned train station, a recorded voice repeats an old childhood rhyme over and over again: Step on a crack, break your mother’s back. Step on a crack, break your mother’s back. I wait for a train that never comes and listen to the mechanical voice seeping through the static of the crackling speaker behind me. The same rhyme repeating on a loop. Step on a crack, step on a crack. The ground beneath my feet is shriveled and dry, split like shattered glass. I stare at the rust orange leaf that is just out of my reach. I keep my feet hovered above the splintered, broken ground. Step on a crack, step on a crack. I am alone and I am waiting for a train. The sky is gray and colorless. I am stuck motionless, like the leaf. Cracks are everywhere and I cannot find a safe place to step. The railroad tracks decay in front of me. Wood and iron decomposing. The leaf begins to disintegrate. I keep my feet hovered above the splintered ground. There is nowhere safe to step. I stare at the rust orange leaf. It withers and fades.

I bring my mother trays with bowls of soup and cups of coffee and plates of muffins. But the pain makes her nauseous and always ruins her appetite. I stack books for her to read on the nightstand. I wash dishes. I sweep the floor. I wait for doctors to call. I hold her x-rays up to the faint sunlight coming in through the window. Her skeleton glows bright white on the page. Dim silhouettes of falling leaves flutter behind the film; tiny shadows flickering through her curved spine with its bulging disc. I listen for the phone to ring. I wait.

I hold the x-rays of my mother’s backbone and I stare out the window at wet yellow leaves pinned flat against the dark, soaked street. The pavement is full of cracks. A heavy sheet imprinted with images of my mother’s glowing spine dangle from my fingertips. I stand still, stuck. Everywhere, cracks. And I cannot find a safe place to step.

9 comments:

Angela said...

I'm sorry that your mother is in so much pain. I hope that the next surgery helps her. Our mothers are who we run to when we are hurting, so it must be such a helpless feeling to see her like that. You are having such a rough time with both your grandmother and your mom not doing well. You are always in my thoughts. Sending all my love and hugs<3<3<3

mariposai said...

This must be so stressful for both you and your mum, you're dealing with such alot right now and I want to send hugs. Lots of them.

Thinking of you

Sarah x

elk said...

*bear hug - like, the really squishy kind*

You are doing the best you can, even if you do feel helpless and lost. It's one of my fears, that either of my parents' will develop serious back problems or damage themselves, as they've both had back problems in the past. I don't know why it scares me so much.

I really hope the doctors can come up with a solution to your mother's problems. It's horrible to see a parent in so much pain, unable to do the things they usually do. Please take care of you, too, though.

I find that Synesthesia thing really fascinating, thank you for bringing it to my attention. And no, not at all offended! I don't know whether I do have the abilities they mention there (though I can taste orange, green, brown and red in some things, but I always thought that was normal when I was small. I don't like the taste of orange (and no, oranges don't taste of orange!), and would say "I don't like it, it tastes orange!" It has a sort of...gasiness to it. Red is quite nice, though).
I can't really wear blue (like 'solid' or 'pure' blues. Some denims are ok). It makes me stressed and feel slightly displaced. But I find combinations of neutral earthy greens/browns/greys and deep winey reds comforting to wear (so long as I'm not all in one colour, though. That makes me feel too 'here').

Sometimes, during periods where I'm feeling overloaded on what I guess is a sensory level, sights (colours and brightnesses) and sounds seem to take on physical feelings within me; so certain colour combinations can make me feel physically unsteady, for example, and certain noise combinations and geographic spaces fill me with this sort of static-buzz sensation that intrudes and disrupts my own wiring.

I'm not sure if that's a form of synesthesia, or related. I started reading around it when I dropped out of uni when I was questioning my sanity and stopped functioning because buying soap or bananas just became too overwhelming, and came across the likes of sensory overload, high sensitivity and introversion.

I am rambling. I guess I find it fascinating how different people are tuned into different things. Like frequencies. All things - objects/colours/sounds - seem to transmit a sort of frequency, which is neutral or attractive to some, while disruptive to others. I wonder also if this plays into people's personal tastes, likes and dislikes. Like, "'scuse me, sir, but the waves released by the colour of your coat are disrupting my happy-frequency". I'll shut up now :D

But yes, thank you for that comment, and please take care. If you ever need anything you know where I am :)
You are in my thoughts and wishes.
xx

Toyin O. said...

I am praying for your mum.

The Blue Morpho said...

What a distressing situation. But you do create something beautiful from it - your writing is so evocative, fresh, and real. It is not only a way for you to express what you feel, but for the rest of us to see our own lives in a different way. We are all looking for healing, and your writing is a gift. I hope you and your Mother's lives improve very soon.
Adventures in Anxiety Land

Just Be Real said...

New to your blog, but am sorry that your mother is in so much pain. Hugs to you..... blessings.

Angela said...

I know that I've already commented on this post, but I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts, and I hope everything is okay. Facebook message me if you need to vent or anything. Sending all my love<3<3<3

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

I hope that your mother feels better, and soon. I love the way you write. I wish you would write a collection of thoughts; I would buy one for every day of the year.

Also, do you feel guilty about your mother's back? That's the only explanation I could think of for the dream. Then again, not everything can be explained.

I love you dearly.

Sia Jane said...

You write so beautifully xxxx