windowlights

windowlights

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tell Me Who You Are


This (blurry, blurry) photograph is not my most vivid or intense memory, but it is my very first memory. More of a snippet, really, a fragment of a moment in which I first became aware of my existence. I’m the one sitting in the wagon and that’s my sister pulling me around the old trailer park where we used to live. I can still clearly hear the sound of my sister’s scratchy voice telling me a story while the wagon wheels rolled over the cement.

What if we were known by our first memory instead of our first name? I wonder how having this bit of insight into the people around us would change the way we perceived and interacted with each other.

I am the girl whose sister pulled her around in a little red wagon.

Who are you?

5 comments:

Sensory Overload said...

I am the girl with no name and many faces. But those faces are not seen because I try to hide them. I hide them because I don't want to disrupt the flow for anyone else. I hide them because of shame.

What an interesting concept but realization of depth you present.

I've struggled with my birth name for years. And Nicole; I want very much to share with you the commonality that we share, but oh the reserved nature of me.

Thank you for sharing this. It evokes thoughts and thus feelings I wasn't even expecting.

I appreciate the "blurry, blurry" picture. That snippet, fragment of a moment can speak volumes for one and very much dictate something, even if we'd rather it not.

Hoping you are finding love, peace, warmth, ease and a sense of balance in all that finds you.

With light. :)

Just me said...

Oh this is so interesting!

I am the girl who, on the day her sister was born, followed her dad around the supermarket reciting a list of various chocolate things we had to buy for my mum to take her in hospital.

The Blue Morpho said...

Wow. A fascinating idea. But, tough.

I'm the girl who woke up in the hospital, surrounded by tubes and white fabric, in pain, and unable to make any sense of it.

On another note - I wanted to drop a little holiday message saying I get a lot out of your blog, and I hope you keep on writing. Good luck with your continued healing in the new year, and many good wishes for you.
Adventures in Anxiety Land

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

God, I love you.

I am the girl who reads books upside down in the Pre-K classroom.

Nic said...

I'm the Sugar Plum Fairy! My earliest memory is dancing to it in our living room. :) xxx