A blue-gray morning
and the rain is just beginning to fall. I keep the light off and open my
kitchen window to listen to the drops landing on the roof, the sill, the
street. Water dripping through the heavy air, the mountains lost behind a wall
of fog. The sun rising somewhere behind all of these dark clouds. I don’t want
to move from this window. I don’t want to boil water or grind coffee beans. Not
yet. I want to stay in this twilight haze and listen to the rain. I keep still
and expect time to do the same. As if I could stop this moment from rolling
forward into the next moment. And the next.
In my grandmother’s old nursing home, many of the elderly
women were stuck in a different time period, continually replaying certain events
from their lives that had occurred in the distant past. A glitch in their
brains kept them locked in moments from long ago. For them, time was static and
never moved forward. A woman who had once owned a café thought she was still on
the job and was always working in the dining hall, gathering up dirty dishes, trying
to take drink orders and looking for menus to place on the tables. Another
woman had regressed back to the time period in which she was a young mother. She
would constantly wander the nursing home halls searching for her children. Leaning
on her cane, inching up and down the hallway in a slow, endless circle. Have
you seen my kids? She would ask me every time she crossed my path. They were
supposed to be home by now. A very old, frail woman had permanently parked her
wheelchair in an empty corner and repeated the same words over and over: Our dog.
Our dog. Our dog. Her gaunt cheeks and thin hands. Hollow eyes fixed in a blank
stare. Seeing. What was she seeing? Her withering figure motionless beneath a
dim overhead bulb, like a ghost lingering in the pale light. The inflections of
her voice changing every now and then. Our dog. Our dog. Our dog.
My grandmother also got lost in time. She would often think
that she was living on a farm in Minnesota where she had spent a large part of
her childhood. We never tried to correct her. It was a relief, really, when her
mind took her away from the nursing home and sent her back to her house in
Minnesota, where she was surrounded by lakes and mountains and all of her
animals.
There are certain moments from my own past that I wouldn’t
mind reliving. I wouldn’t mind going back to the time when my sister was
pregnant with my niece. It was her first pregnancy, and the doctor had placed
her on bed rest for her final trimester so she wouldn’t go into an early labor.
Every day, after I finished with my classes at the university, I would leave
school and drive over to her tiny house
to clean it for her while she slept. I wouldn’t mind going back to those days.
Back to the late afternoons spent in her quiet kitchen, washing dishes in the
fading sunlight. My hands dipping into the sink filled with soapy water. Plates
and cups clinking together in the soft yellow light. Autumn turning into
winter. Staying each night with my sister until my brother-in-law came home
from the metal foundry where he worked. His exhausted figure climbing up the
porch steps, walking slowly through the front doorway. His face and hands covered
in a permanent black dust. He would crumple into the bed with my sister and
almost immediately drop into a deep sleep. But before he closed his eyes, he
would always reach out to hold her hand. I would leave, then, and drive back
home in the dark, through snowflakes falling in the empty streets.
I wouldn’t mind going back there again.
Sometimes, I want time to be static. But it’s not static, it
keeps stretching forward. And who we were then is not who we are now.
Now, I stand in a dark kitchen and watch the morning rain.
Outside, a trash truck rolls through the alley collecting everyone’s bins. Mud splattered across wheel wells, tires crunching over loose gravel. The low
groan of the truck's compactor crushing all of our garbage. Broken glass tinkling
against metal. Rain drizzles over the streets of this town, washing away the
summer dust from the pavement. Rain water streaking down the window, like
transparent veins branching out across the glass. Black birds perch on the Oak
tree limbs, their silent figures stock-still among the clusters of leaves
dripping rain to the gray cement below. Thin rivulets of water sweeping away
yesterday’s ghosts, the ghosts of who we were, from the sidewalks, the
porch steps, the doorways, the windowsills.
This moment rolls forward into the next moment. And into the
next. We call this Life.
I turn from the window and switch on the light over
the kitchen sink. Blue porcelain glowing beneath a fluorescent bulb. Behind me,
I hear the rain and a faint wind passing through the leaves. I fill a pan with
water and the morning begins.
4 comments:
I loved reading this. The details almost pulled me into every situation. My sister is about to get married and I can't wait for a niece or nephew!
The nursing home stories are also all too familiar, as I used to work in one.
Beautifully written!
A beautiful and melancholic read.
Sometimes it is such a comfort to return to past memories. I would go back to when my boys were little, and I was a stay at home mom. I had blocked out quite well the memories of past abuse. In total denial. We can't live in the past forever. You write so beautifully, and I'm always so excited when you have a new post to read. Sending all my love. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!
I always get the sense of everything standing still and falling right into what it is your words are unfolding. My own reality and surroundings are suspended, and I'm gradually pulled into this other place, and the further I read the more concrete and real it becomes. I wish you would write books, because I love how you write, but then I love that there are these all encompassing texts that appear now and then, like something to slowly savour.
I've been spending time with my own grandmother in the hospital recently, and it's a bit like how you describe here: there are moments when she seems to be in another time, like how when a camera jams and you get one image superimposed on another with discrepancies in time and place.
This whole post was absolutely beautiful, and just what I needed. I hope you are doing well, Nicole. x
Post a Comment