I used to imagine that fog was created by the breath of
sleeping people. In the early winter mornings when the fog would roll in and
cover everything, I would picture millions of people asleep and breathing collectively,
sending deep, slow breaths through all the walls and locked doors and windows,
out into the air where they swirled together, hovering over the bare trees and
orange streetlights.
Everything is always so loud and chaotic. We are buried
under layers and layers of waves; sound waves and light waves and electric
waves. Everything swarming and buzzing. But the fog makes for a different kind
of atmosphere, one where we overcome all of the endless noise and unite in
silence.
I would stand outside in those foggy mornings and think of
all the people in all the houses breathing together. The smell of snow and burning wood. Breathing in and out. All at once. I would fill my lungs with cold air and let go of it
very slowly.
In the most delicate ways, we are deeply connected to one
another.
Breath intertwining with breath. My breath and your breath. Rising.
Floating up high, above all the noise, where everything is
soft and quiet.
6 comments:
I like this :] Very fitting to read this today, in every way.
hope you are well, much love xx
It's so strange how nature can unite us in many ways, and not in others. The sounds of the sea, the sound of the wind, and so on, making us calm or making us fearful. Fog makes me panic. Isn't that strange?
xx
Thank you so much, melrose, and I hope you are well, too. :) Sending love right back to you. <3
Oh, I love the sound of the sea, Nic. :) That's one of my favorites. The fog always makes me feel dreamy, but I can definitely see how it might make someone feel confined and nervous. Lots and lots of love to you, Nic, you are always in my heart. <3
I love that you have this beautiful tendency towards connectedness. It reminds me that sometimes we aren't all by ourselves, even if you're just some beautiful soul I've never met on the internet.
This is such lovely writing! And I love the image of the breaths creating the fog. I firmly believe that all of nature is connected, including human beings.
You are a beautiful soul, Eve. <3 Truly. I hope you know that. We really are all connected to one another in many different ways, more than we can probably ever know. This is something I have to remind myself of often, over and over again, because for the most part, I feel quite disconnected from the world around me and I always feel lost and very much so out of place. But every now and then, I can see the countless little threads that link me with others. Thank you, as always, for reading, Eve. Lots of love you. <3
Thank you, Tina, that is so nice of you to say. I really appreciate you reading. :)
Post a Comment