Still, I dream of her.
The last time I saw her, we were in
the lake. Little beads of sunlight caught in the drops of water that dripped
from her hair. She said, Are you okay?
She had the most beautiful face.
It is raining very hard outside. I am listening to the
countless drops hitting my window. I am
listening to the wind. I am listening to the dull clang of empty beer cans
rolling through the alley. I am listening to my very loud head and its long
list of grievances against me. All the wrong things I have done and said. And
it is a never-ending list and it goes on and on. I am listening to the storm
outside my window and I am listening to the storm inside my head. I am always
listening. It is a dark morning. And I am staring up at a blank ceiling. Like I
usually do.
Her face was in my dream again. The face of the woman who,
years and years ago, pulled me out of the water when I slipped and disappeared
beneath the surface.
I had slipped away—far away—from everyone else and I went wading
in the lake by myself. Even then, I was prone to withdrawing. Even then, I was
prone to disappearing. I was following a trail of sunlight rippling on the
water. It led deep into the lake and I followed it. I walked and walked. I still
don’t know why I did this, why I kept moving deeper into the water. I had no
idea how to swim. I just kept wading farther into the lake while the water rose
higher and higher all around me; washing over my knees, then my stomach, then
my chest, then my neck. I don’t know why I kept moving forward, why I didn’t
turn around and head back to the shore. I just kept following the path. I wasn't afraid at all. The
water hit my chin, rose up to my lips, started seeping into my mouth. And then
I slipped and went under the surface.
I am lucky she saw me, the woman who saved me. I would have
been easy to miss. Drowning is not as loud and noticeable as you might think.
It is actually pretty quiet.
After I slipped under the lake, I managed to pull myself up
and tried to hold on to the surface. I called out for my sister, but her name
came out garbled—a muted scream—my voice choked by the water. I slipped again.
One last time, I broke through all of that heavy water and tried to hold on to
the surface.
After all of that. Drowning is quiet.
You slap the surface of the water one last time before you
slip beneath it and disappear. This is the last sound you make. A sharp slap on
water. After that, it’s quiet, this drowning. It’s quiet on the surface, at
least. Here is what goes on below: a deep fear and a deep panic. The deepest
fear and the deepest panic. It’s a series of explosions in your head and you
claw and claw at the water. But then—after
the explosions, after you have clawed and clawed at all of the endless water
that engulfs you, after you have tried to push yourself up by kicking and
kicking your legs—you just sink. Your arms go limp, you stop kicking your legs,
and you let yourself sink. All you can hear is the water. And you listen. You
listen to the water. And it is very quiet. As quiet below as it is above. It’s
not peaceful. It’s not peaceful at all. But it is quiet. And then—for one very
brief moment—it’s almost as if you become two people. It is strange, strange.
One of you sinks. You sink and sink. And one of you floats. You are side by
side. It is strange and you won’t ever know how to explain this split, this
division, in words. So you won’t even try.
Drowning feels like drowning. It feels exactly like drowning. That’s
the only way you can describe it. You are sinking but you are also floating. Then
an arm appears above you; an arm comes down through the water. You are floating
and you see an arm wrap around the waist of the other you, the one who is
sinking. It is strange, strange. And then, you are suddenly being pulled up
through the water. You are one person again and you are being pulled. Up, up,
up.
I am lucky that she saw me. I was so far away from everyone
else.
She wrapped her arm around my waist and she pulled me up,
up, up. My chest was full of lake water and I was not breathing. She hit my
back very hard over and over until all of that water came spilling out of me. She
hit my back until my chest was completely empty. I coughed and coughed and
every single breath was a shaky gasp.
She held me above the water. Shining beads of sunlight
dripped from her hair.
I couldn’t hear her voice over the sound of the water. My
ears were full of it. Her mouth shaped the words: Are you okay?
She had the most beautiful face.
Still, I dream of her.
In my dream, I am balancing on the edge of a cliff,
hovering above a deep gorge. I listen to the river that flows somewhere far
below me. It is the only sound other than her footsteps echoing through the
dark. The ground beneath me starts to shift and crumble. The ground always does
this. It is forever shifting, it is forever crumbling. I can hear the water and
I can hear her footsteps coming closer. And
I am very afraid. I am so afraid for her. I am so afraid that she will slip. And I don’t
want her to fall. I really, really don’t want her to fall with me. I can feel
her behind me and I turn around. She has the most beautiful face. Are you
okay? Is what she asks me. I try to tell her to stay away from the edge but
when I open my mouth to speak, all that comes out is water. I have no voice and
there are no words. There is only water. Just water. It spills and spills from
my mouth and falls to the ground. It never stops. Spilling. The water. My feet
slip in it. Beneath me, the cliff breaks away and I break with it. I am falling,
but I am also flying. It is strange, strange. It feels just like it did that
day; when I was sinking but also floating. The gorge is deep and dark.
Strange how after all of these years I still dream of her.
It was so long ago, but I always think about that day. I
think about how, in a small way, my life ended in that lake. How, in a small
way, my life began in that lake.
When you are born in a lake, the first question you are
asked is: Are you okay? Then you are carried to the shore. A woman with the
most beautiful face puts you on her back and swims you through water dappled
with sunlight. You hold on to her. Very tight. You listen to the water. You
will always hear it; the sound will never leave you. You will always hear the
water. When you reach the shore, you sit in the sand and breathe your shaky
breaths. You breathe and breathe and breathe. And breathe and breathe and
breathe. Never have you loved breathing as much as you do this day, the day you
are born in water.
She had the most beautiful face.
Are you okay?
It was the first question she asked me.
***
Still, I can hear the water.
Still, I can feel it. My chest is full of it. And it is
heavy. It is still so heavy.
Still, I am sinking.
Still.
***
It is a dark morning and I stare at the ceiling. I am low,
low, low. I am trying very hard to stay present. I am trying very hard to not
slip away again. My head is loud. As usual. And it hurts. Everything hurts. These
days and nights feel hopeless. I don’t know how I will face all of the hours
that are stacked before me like heavy bricks. I don’t know how I’ll get through
today. Or tomorrow. Or the tomorrow after that or the tomorrow after that. But.
I am trying. I am trying very hard not to slip away and sink deeper into this
depression. I am trying very hard not to go under and disappear again.
And sometimes what I do to keep myself from sinking is this:
I remember an arm wrapping around my waist and pulling me up, up, up. I
remember clearing all of that water from my chest. How light I felt after that.
I remember how good it feels to breathe. Even with scared, shaky breaths. It
feels so good to breathe. It really, really does.
I remember her face.
She has the most beautiful face and she holds me above the
water and I breathe.
I breathe and breathe and breathe.
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, N. That is awful. I once swan into the deep end of a pool by accident and I could barely swim. I remember going under and a friend of mine very calmly saying, N, are you okay under there? And then an arm around my waist too.
I wish I could be somebody who soars through the water. Considering how much I love the rivers, the lakes, the sea... But I tend to keep a respectful distance.
I am so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been terrifying.
Feel an arm now, giving you the biggest of hugs. xxxxx
I'm so sorry that you drowned too, Nic. :(
I really love the water as well. I love to be near rivers and lakes (I wish I was by the sea!). But like you, I keep my distance. The shore is just fine by me. :)
I'm sending you a huge hug. And lots and lots of love. <3 <3 <3
This is so beautifully written but I'm so sorry that you went through this... :(
A really beautiful and haunting story. I am glad she saw you! It sounds like a terrifying experience. I wonder what the lady who saved you is doing now.
Thank you, Jenn and thank you, Amber. <3
I often wonder about the woman who saved me, Amber. I hope that life has treated her well and that she is very happy, wherever she is. <3
Post a Comment