My nutritionist tells me: “I understand that you are depressed, that you are constantly sad, that you are sad all the time. I’ve never been depressed myself, but I want you to know that I get it.”
She does not get it.
“What about this,” she suggests, “how about the next time you notice a sensation of sadness coming on, you just let it pass over you, just let it come and go.”
She does not get it.
I tell her that would be like drowning in a deep ocean and noticing a rain drop splashing on the surface.
She laughs at this. She does not get it.
Her office building is cold and sterile. She weighs me in the bathroom that reeks of disinfectant and is lit with harsh fluorescent lights that flicker and buzz as I step backwards onto the scale and hear metal clinking against metal. She marks the number in my file as I gather my things and try to avoid looking at my reflection in the huge mirror situated above the white sink that is decorated with plastic plants and fake flowers. She walks, too fast, back to her office and I follow behind her trying to keep up with her quick little steps. Her desk is efficiently organized with weight charts, neatly stacked measuring cups, manila folders, and white binders packed with nutritional information lined up in orderly, rigid rows. We sit facing each other, an invisible wall of thick tension between us. She scribbles notes while I talk. She seems frustrated with me most of the time. We do not understand each other. Her greatest passion is my greatest fear.
I step out of her office building that is indistinguishable from the rows and rows of identical office buildings next to it. I am engulfed by cement. Cement gutters lining large cement sidewalks leading to smaller cement walkways leading to cement buildings. Cement and more cement. Everything is cold, even when the sun is shining. My head is very loud when I leave, my temples throb and I feel nauseated. I keep my head down as I walk on the sidewalk, sure that everyone passing me knows why I’m there: because I’m a bit out of my mind and need someone to tell me how to feed myself. They know I’m not normal. No use trying to pretend otherwise.
My therapist’s office is much different. It’s not an office at all, actually, it’s an attic in an old Victorian mansion that has big stained glass windows and a wide wooden porch always lit by a glowing yellow porch light. We sit in big, soft chairs with pillows and she always has a radio playing low in the background. She doesn’t use the overhead lights, she uses a small lamp and low-watt light bulb. She keeps her office really warm and runs a space heater constantly, because she has overcome her own eating disorder and works specifically with eating disorder patients, so she knows how awful our circulation is.
She gets it.
Sometimes, I don’t feel like I’m in therapy at all. I feel like I’m just visiting a friend and, for a little while, I forget why I’m really there. I forget that I’m there because I’m 27 years old and haven’t yet figured out how to feed myself. I forget that I’m there because my reflection in a mirror can make me cry. I forget that I’m there because sometimes I look down at my legs and find that they have somehow magically morphed into the size of tree trunks. I forget that I’m there because the world is crushing me and I can’t escape all of its suffocating weight. I forget that I’m there because I feel unworthy of being alive and I can’t stop apologizing for my existence.
Sometimes, I forget.
But then my therapist looks at the clock and says “I can’t believe we’re already out of time. I don’t know what it is about you, but I could just talk and talk with you forever and the time flies by so fast.”
She walks with me down the antique staircases and she stays next to my side. She does not speed ahead of me. She says goodbye as I step out of the house and close the big wooden door behind me. I never want to leave.
Sometimes I stand on the porch after my session and try to forget again. I pretend I’m normal. I pretend I live in this beautiful neighborhood with all of its warm Victorians and green lawns. I pretend I’ve just been visiting with a friend, not paying to see a therapist, that I’m exactly like the people who are strolling by me, out on their evening walks with their dogs. I pretend I’m just like them. That I’m going to go home and eat dinner without crying beforehand and panicking after it’s gone. I pretend that I’m just like them. I pretend I get it.
Some are walking with grocery bags and little shopping lists in their hands. And then I remember the list I have to carry around in my own pocket, with all of my automatic thoughts that I am supposed to continually challenge written down on it:
-I’m a glutton
-I’m weak
-I’m selfish
-I’m pathetic
-I’m a joke
I remember my list. Then it’s harder to forget that I'm not like them. It’s harder to pretend that I get it.
I walk away from the door and across the porch. As I plant my foot on the last wooden step, it creaks as if to snap me back to my reality, as if to say “So long now, that’s enough pretending. Let’s not forget why you are really here.”
I leave the porch and I remember why I'm here.
I step back onto the gray sidewalk, back onto the cement, and I remember.
I don't get it.
14 comments:
I want to cross out that last list. Nicole you are one of the most lovely, caring, talented people I have ever met. And I seriously mean that. You have given me so much support, and you write so beautifully I always look forward to your posts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
It makes me mad that there is a negative voice inside you telling all those horrible lies to such a fabulous person as yourself.
You deserve all the help in the world to beat the ED, to beat the depression, and if there is anything I can do to support you, please let me know. You can vent to me whenever, and my email is coggeroo@hotmail.com if you don't want to go through facebook.
I'm very glad you are here. Very glad indeed.
Your therapist sounds great btw :-)
Sarah x
I am just a random bystander/follower from the sidelines of your blog, yet I too want to tell you that your posts are beautifulbeautifulbeautiful, every one of them utterly touching without being trite in the slightest.
I know from my own mind those feelings on your list (weak, gluttonous, pathetic joke, weak); Still when I am reading them on your blog after also reading how much of an amazing, wonderful, inspiring writer you are, I wish that I could just Wave A Magic Wand spontaneously and simply Change Your Mind about them.
Your therapist sounds like heaven, her mansion too.
I wish you didn't have that last list. You are totally not any of those things. You are probably one of the nicest bloggers I've "met."
You seem to make sure everyone is alright, while you yourself are not.
I hope you will care more about yourself one day.
Lovely post. :)
xx,
~Abby~
you do seem like the kind of person who a person could talk and talk with, losing track of time. because you are warm and genuine. i know this for fact because i always find myself leaving the longest comments on your blogs. i know this for a fact because i always look forward to your blogs because i want to hear what you have to say. i know this for a fact because you make me want to be better. i only hope i can be nearly as strong a support for you as you've been for me. because you are amazing.
I don't know how to thank you girls enough for your kindness :)
Sarah, you are such a wonderful, beautiful person. You are always a great inspiration for me and for many, many others. I am glad that you are here as well. Thank you so much for being you and for everything you do <3
Mary, I'm so touched that you like my writing, that is really nice of you to say and I very much so appreciate that. It breaks my heart to know that you have the same negative thoughts running through your mind that I have running through mine. I wish that I had a magic wand and could change your mind too. *hugs*
Abby, you are so very sweet. I think you are a very nice blogger as well :) Thank you!
les jeune fille a les oiseaux, you are absolutely a strong source of support for me. You are an amazingly beautiful person and I love to see the world through your eyes. You are a rare gift and we are lucky to have you here <3
I love your blog too and not just because I know you like Tori Amos, but because I love reading what you write and in a way, your blog is like that little place you visit your therapist in. It's warm and nice to visit and you don't want to leave at the end. You know what, I never usually tell people this but I will, you are worried about being 27 and still having these issues, well hun, I'm 35 and still have these issues. Sometimes I feel like they will never go away either. I feel a failure for still having these issues at this stage of my life. Kinda sucks, but I guess I just have to get better this time, as I don't want to be 40 and still having these issues.
*hugs*
Sarah
First of all, I wish I could make that list go away because nothing on it is true. You are such a kind, talented person. Your comments on my blog are always so thoughtful and you are such a wonderful, talented writer. I feel the same way so often where I try to pretend that I'm "normal" and like everyone else. So often I feel like I'm outside the world looking in and I can't quite break through whatever it is that's holding me where I am. And I know that I had being 26 and feeling like I can't function. But the truth is that we have to deal with where we are in our lives now and you will get through this. You are working so hard for recovery and you will get there. **hugs**
Sarah, thank you! I love your blog too and I want you to know that you are in no way a failure. You work and try so hard at recovery and I know that you will make it through. You rock :)
Jessie, thank you so much! You are so intelligent and such a gifted writer, and I really value your insight. You have a great way of putting things and you are right, no matter our ages, we are where we are and we have to confront the difficult issues that are facing us right now in this moment. Thank you for all of your support and encouragement, and I believe you will make it through this as well.
Thank you all, I really appreciate each one of you <3
Crumple that horrid list and throw it away. You are none of those things, but I do unfortunately get it. I'm sorry that your nutritionist doesn't. Maybe you need a new one. Your therapist on the other hand sounds as wonderful as mine, and I'm glad that you have her. She sounds like she cares about you a great deal, and why wouldn't she? You are amazing!!!! I'm jealous of her because I wish we could sit together and talk for hours. I just love you. Never forget that you are loved. You are also strong, and you WILL beat this. I just know you will.<3<3<3
Angie, I love you too!!! You have been my life raft and you always help me to keep my head above water. I really don't know what I would do without you. Don't forget how strong you are as well, and I know we will all beat this <3<3<3
Keep talking about it and keep getting help :)
I won't tell you I understand,I haven't been through what it is that you're going through,all I can say is your doing the right thing,even though I do know that sometimes doing 'the right thing' is the hardest thing of all
Thinking of you :)
I love your writing. You are able to articulate your feelings so well.
Writing and talking about things really helps so keep it up and keep working hard to get well.
I'm so glad that you have at least one safe haven to go to in terms of your therapist...it's wonderful that she actually gets it.
Also remember that no one is 'normal'.
Though I know whenever I step out of any mental health place (therapist, dietician, etc.)...I feel like people outside look and judge and just know.
But you've got to keep your head up and keep going.
Take care. xx:)
Thank you Smiley and Woolen Typist, you both are right, it is important to keep talking and writing about all of this. It definitely helps to sort out my thoughts and my feelings. Thank you both so much! :)
Wonderful post and beautifully said. I think many people can relate to the feelings of people getting it/not getting, to the list you've made (though we all wish you didn't have that list--maybe do an opposites list?)
I am glad that you have a safe place to go to with your therapist. Having that relationship is immensely important in recovery. I know you'll eventually get there and break free.
Post a Comment