windowlights

windowlights

Monday, September 20, 2010

Windows

Late Saturday afternoon and the stifling heat of summer has finally morphed into the milder temperatures of fall. My mom and I are visiting my grandmother in the hospital again. She is half asleep in her bed, staring at me with glassy eyes. She doesn’t know where she is and she keeps asking the same questions: Why am I here? Is this my house? What do I need to do here? Why am I here?

I’m leaning against the doorframe, answering her questions: You’re in the hospital. All you have to do is listen to the nurses, they’re taking good care of you. It’s okay, you won’t be here forever. And then she repeats her questions once more. She is very confused.

I’m staring at the sunlit leaves of the treetops outside of her window and adding up the number of hours I’ve spent inside of hospitals this year. Too many. Different buildings, different wings, different floors, but each room is essentially the same. White sheets, white pillows, the white noise of oxygen machines, my grandmother’s white hair. Is this my house? Metal bed frames, metal door handles, metal curtain hooks, my grandmother’s metallic breath. What do I do here? Pale floors, pale walls, pale hospital gowns, the pale green irises of my grandmother’s eyes. Why am I here?

All of the rooms are the same. Only the windows are different. Big windows, small windows, windows that can be opened, windows that are locked. A single pane of glass promising that the world on the other side hasn’t gone anywhere, that it is still turning and unfolding as it always has. Leaves still turn to yellow and orange in autumn, snow still falls in the winter, flowers still bloom in spring, thunderstorms still roll through the summer, kids still ride their bikes along the streets, people still take their dogs for long walks through the neighborhoods. Colors still exist. It’s all still here waiting for you. Everything will be okay.

The afternoon slips away outside of my grandmother’s window overlooking one of the more historic neighborhoods in town, where dark rod-iron gates enclose landscaped yards with brick pathways that cut through deep green grass and lead up to large porches and elaborate front doors. I stare at yellow leaves on branches floating above Spanish-tiled rooftops and listen to my grandmother breathe the stale air of her hospital room.

I stare out the window. A single pane of glass separating two very different worlds.

I stand on the pale floor, lean against the pale doorframe. The nurse hands my grandmother a white paper cup and two little white pills. I look out the window and stare at leaves. My grandmother pinches the white pills between her pale fingertips and brings them to her pale lips.

I look out the window. A single pane of glass. On the other side, colors still exist.

Everything will be okay.

4 comments:

S.A. said...

You are a phenomenal writer- this passage is beautiful :) Thank you for sharing it. You guys are in my prayers!

Angela said...

Isn't it strange how the world still turns and moves on around us, even when we are on the outside looking in? I'm sorry that your grandmother is not well. You are right though...everything WILL be okay. You are in my thoughts, always.
Sending all my love and a big hug <3

Sarah Coggrave said...

Beautiful as always...I like reading your posts, and I'm thinking of you.

Hugs

Sarah x

elk said...

I hope your grandmother is ok. You have my thoughts.
I have no proper response to this, because responses in this communication method involve words, and it's more of a non-word reaction.

I secretly hope you write a book one day, or that your words can be put in inconspicuous places where people will stumble upon them, because there is something...something.....something I can't name in words, but a something that gives so much to the reader. I imagine this to be written into the transparency of all those windows - maybe it wouldn't be seen, but it would be there. It isn't rose-tinted. But there is comfort and hope.
Even though these are your own experiences, there is something in the way you write that absorbs the reader, so they are there too. I forget that, to me, this is just a column of text on a screen thousands of miles away. Because it is so much more.
But for now I am just grateful that I came across your blog, and that I am allowed to read.
xxx