Stitches
The dentist and his assistant really are very kind. They talk to me all
through the procedure to distract me from the sharp buzz of the drill. Metal
scraping against enamel. Fluorescent white light from the overhead bulb seeping
in through my closed eyelids. During the
worst part, they up the volume of their voices in an attempt to drown out the
sound of my tooth breaking and splitting as they pull it from my gums.
I hear it anyway. The sickening crack. My mouth filling with blood.
I hear it anyway. The sickening crack. My mouth filling with blood.
One of the consequences of an eating disorder is having weak teeth that break easily. This isn’t the first molar I have split in half.
Even though I am in recovery, I have done some damage to my body that is
irreversible.
The dentist's assistant gives me instructions on how to take
care of my mouth while it heals but I can’t focus on what she is saying. I hear
my heartbeat. I feel blood soaking into the gauze stuffed inside a gaping
hole where my tooth used to be.
All over now and the damage is done.
All day, I spit blood into the sink. My tongue brushes over
the crisscross stitches in my gums, sweeps over the newly hollow space in the
back of my mouth. It’s not really noticeable.
Still, I am ashamed to smile.
Geese
One last swipe of the chainsaw and the old Cottonwood tree
tilts slowly to the left and then topples to the ground. The final creak of
splitting wood as it falls. Scattered limbs surrounding the dead tree lying
motionless in the pale yellow grass. The men spend the morning feeding the bare
branches into a wood chipper. When they load their truck and drive away, a sad
silence settles over the empty space in the yard. Now, when I look out the
window I see the stretching plains and the distant faint blue mountains of New
Mexico, instead of branches full of leaves. In the mornings, I watch the dark
wings of geese drifting through the fog, flying above a river that runs through
the prairies.
Waste
What do you do? The man asks me. I mean for excitement.
What do you do for excitement?
I read, I say.
You read? He says.
I’ve always been more of an introvert, I say. I don’t
like going out in crowds.
So you read? For fun?
That’s what I do, I say.
What a waste, he says. What a waste of a life.
Wall
Sometimes I feel like I can’t get out of bed. Worn-out limbs
and a head full of static. Staring at the blank white ceiling, my legs refusing
to move. The wind grazing across my windows. The day seems like a towering wall
of hours and minutes and seconds that I won’t be able to climb. But I do. I do manage
to get out of bed and climb up and over that wall.
Climb and climb and climb.
A Thousand Floating Leaves
Just before the winter rains come, I sweep a heap of yellow
leaves away from our chain-link fence. For weeks I’ve watched them fall from the
trees and gather along the edge of the gate. As I sweep, a gust of wind
suddenly blows through the alley and all of the leaves swirl up into the air at
once. For a moment, I am completely enveloped in yellow.
A thousand floating leaves falling all around me.
A thousand floating leaves falling all around me.
Sparking Wires
Sometimes, I can’t sit still. I pace and pace and my heart
beats erratically. I worry. I worry about everything. Name it. Everything is
scattered and disorganized. Everything is too bright. Everything is too loud. Everything
moves too slow, and at the same time, everything moves too fast. I lose my
breath. My heart beats hard and quick; I can see it pounding through my shirt.
My chest grows tight and sore. My arms go numb and my vision blurs. My brain
feels like a tangle of frayed, sparking wires. I make myself sit down in a
chair. I put my feet square on the floor and I try to breathe. I breathe and I breathe. Deeper.
Years ago, when I was in grade school, my teachers would
have conferences with my parents about my anxiety. I remember standing in the
empty hall with my teacher, listening to the rows of fluorescent lights droning
above our heads. She was trying to calm me down.
You’ve got to stop worrying, she said to me. I have never seen someone worry like you do. You’re going to give yourself ulcers.
Beige floor tiles shining under a new coat of wax. Everything buzzing. My heart beating fast.
Faster.
I would come home from school and complain to my mother
about my heart. It beat very fast and my chest was hurting. Doctors taped wires
to my skin and hooked me up to EKG machines. They monitored my breathing and my
pulse. They could find nothing wrong. Everything was fine.
Years later, they decided that I was having panic attacks.
I worried about my worrying. I worried that my worrying was
making other people worry. When my heart would start to pound in school, I
would slip away from the other kids and walk by myself along the edge of the
playground. Placing one foot in front of the other, trying to balance along the
border that separated the blacktop from the grass. My arms tingling, growing
numb. A faint tremor running through my legs. Countless little dizzying stars
floating through my peripheral vision. My pulse hammering through my head. Silently
telling my heart to slow down: Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. You’re giving me
ulcers.
Ghost
While I’m downtown, the snow begins to fall. From inside a
diner, I watch people walk on the damp sidewalks and trot across soaked
streets. Long wool coats and dark umbrellas. The smell of coffee and the sound
of spoons clinking in cups. Outside, snowflakes are falling on brick buildings.
I catch my reflection in the window. I look old and tired. My cheeks are
sinking in again and my eyes look dark and hollow. Like a ghost. I turn away.
It never takes me long to give up on my reflection.
What a waste. What a waste of a life.
The snow keeps falling. Without warning, my eyes fill up
with tears.
How embarrassing.
Morning Light
In the early morning, a pale orange sunrise streams in
through the frost on the windows. The grass is covered in snow and the roads are
gleaming with ice. Heavy snowflakes fall through the lamppost’s soft yellow
light. Sometimes, when everything is quiet like this, the world actually seems
manageable.
Foreheads
After the snowstorm, I sit on the floor next to my cat. He
puts his forehead against my forehead. We sit like this for a while.
I
can’t remember the last time I felt so low.
Thaw
Beads of cold water drip down from the rooftops as the snow
melts. Damp grass and wood burning in fireplaces. I stand at the window and watch
the gray day fade. Streetlights switch on over the sidewalks as the sun sets.
Another day done. Another wall climbed. Sometimes, it feels too high. The wall. Too many hours. Too many minutes. Too many seconds. Tired bones and a heart that hurts.
Another day done. Another wall climbed. Sometimes, it feels too high. The wall. Too many hours. Too many minutes. Too many seconds. Tired bones and a heart that hurts.
But
I do climb it. I always make it over the wall.
Tomorrow, I’ll climb the wall
again.
Climb
And climb and climb and climb.
8 comments:
You have such a beautiful way of writing. I know it's pain, but it's beautiful.
I agree with Kristina. Beautiful. :)
Sensitive and resilient. A beautiful post.
Thank you for simply sharing. Your words help me feel less alone. Though, I wish very much that the pain you experience was not with you.
Be kind to you.
This is beautiful writing. You have a gift. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I'm sorry for your pain, and I hope that writing about it helps you.
Thank you for visiting and joining my blog.
I can relate to this so much
My teeth are ruined due to my eating disorder
I have yet another dentist appointment next week and am dreading it so much
Your writing is beautiful
I'll look forward to reading more x
Hi Nicole,
I relate to the pain you so beautifully describe.
You are one of the best writers I have ever read.
Love and best wishes,
Sarah.
Post a Comment