windowlights

windowlights

Thursday, September 11, 2014

After


These are the days after. Everything now is measured by after.
~Don DeLillo

After, the music stopped. It would be days before it started playing again.

I woke up that morning to a disembodied voice coming through the speakers of my radio, describing a plane crash that had happened at the World Trade Center. I got out of bed and turned on the T.V. just in time to see the second plane smash into the second tower.

After, I drove in slow-moving traffic to my morning classes at the university. Every single radio station carried an endless loop of news updates. There was no music that day.

What I remember the most is how eerily silent everything was that morning. The whole university campus was stunned into stillness. In class, everyone took their seats in a muted daze. The girl behind me was the only one who spoke. I saw people falling, she whispered. They were jumping from the windows. She wasn’t speaking to me. She wasn’t speaking to anyone, really. I saw them falling.

After, we were silent. Maybe we were being stoic. Maybe we were just afraid. We waited for our professor to tell us what to do. We looked to him for an answer as he walked through the doorway and stood at the front of the class. We waited.

I don’t know what to tell you, he said. I’m not going to make you sit there and pretend to learn while I stand here and pretend to teach with all of this going on.

No false bravado. No attempt to console. Only the truth. 

I don’t know what to tell you.

I always appreciated that.

After, we all left class together and walked slowly out into the heavy air.

I don’t know.

We didn't speak. Maybe we were being stoic. Maybe we were just afraid.

Let’s not pretend.

We were very afraid.

5 comments:

Redecórate con Lola Godoy said...

Hello, I´m your new follower. I love your blog and your style.
This is my blog. Please follow me back: http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/
Kisses and hugs.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow...this is incredible, Nicole!

Amber said...

I love your description. Very powerful! It really captures the mood/dread of the day.

Lilly said...

this gave me shivers. although i was still at school, i remember the silence. this silence.

this is such a good piece, such an amzing expression of something unspeakable

thank you so much for your comment, it made so much sense. so much!

xxxxx

Nicole said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I appreciate them all very much. <3

Everything about that day was hard to grasp, and it all felt so foggy and not quite real.

Lilly, I'm glad I could help a little bit. You have such a heightened level of awareness and you feel things very deeply. Not a lot of people have that kind of empathy. It is a strength, even though it can feel quite overwhelming and draining at times. <3

Sending love to all of you. <3

~Nicole