windowlights

windowlights

Saturday, April 10, 2010

An Avalanche of Questions

I had the good fortune of being tagged by three of the most incredibly beautiful people in this world: Birdie, Petal, and Andy to answer some questions about myself.

The first to tag me was my favorite birdie, the extremely gifted, lovely, whimsical, ethereal les jeune fille a les oiseaux:

1. if you could be anywhere in the world, at anytime and with anyone, where would you be and why?

There is a secluded island in Norway in the middle of the sea where my ancestors used to live. It’s very small and only about 10 families lived there. I’ve stood on that island only once, but it is the one place in the world where I felt I truly belonged. When I was there in the summer, it was covered in wildflowers and there were some remnants of my family’s old cottages still standing. So, I would be there with my mom, reclaiming the island. You all can come with me if you want, though we would have to bring some battery powered space heaters and lots of blankets because the winters are brutal. :)

2. who do you look up to, celebrity, family or other?

I look up to my mother and my grandmother because they are endlessly strong and compassionate.

3. what qualities do you wish you had?

I wish I had more confidence and that my self esteem wasn’t so low.

4. what qualities in yourself do you have that you love?

Even though I have a huge amount of social anxiety, I nonetheless am able to get along with just about anyone.

5. what do you most admire in a person?

Strength, sincerity, and kindness.

6. define beauty for me, in your own words.

I’m going to cheat a little bit here and direct you to Petal’s page because I absolutely loved her answer to this question. For me, I would say that beauty doesn’t have so much do with surface qualities that are physical and tangible, but rather more to do with intangible qualities or feelings that are very real, but at the same time, impossible to grasp.

7. what would you die for?

My niece and nephews.

8. what is your favorite way to express yourself and why?

Writing is the only way I know how to express myself, but I envy those who can paint or draw.

9. what about your future are you most looking forward to?

I’m really looking forward to watching my niece and nephews grow up to see what kind of wonderful people they will become.

10. tell me something random about yourself.

I have two fake teeth. But I would like to point out that they are very classy fake teeth.


Next to tag me was the brilliant, wonderful, stunningly gorgeous Petal:

1) What is your favourite kind of cake, pie, biscuit, dessert, or sweet thing? (To
eat, smell, look at, destroy...)


When my niece was six years old (so, last year) she made up a recipe all on her own for a pie she calls “World Famous Coconut-Banana Cream Pie” and it is actually really, really good :)


2) If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Oh I love questions like this!! It would be such a hard choice and no doubt my answer would change daily, but if I had to choose at this very moment, it would be either “Suzanne” by Leonard Cohen because it makes me feel safe, Losing my Religion as covered by Tori Amos, or How I Made My Millions by Radiohead. I’ll go with Radiohead because I use music to help me fall asleep and this song makes me feel calm. Plus the end of this song reminds me that sometimes, even though it is very difficult to do, we have to be able to let go and let certain things fall, because they just might be falling into place…




3) What is your favourite part of your body?

My hands, because they look like my mother’s hands.

4) Do you paint your toenails and fingernails? If so, what colour, and why?

I do! I paint my toenails red in the spring and summer because it cheers me up.

5) Do you prefer baths or showers?

Showers, because I like to just get them over with as quickly as possible.

6) Have you seen Alice in Wonderland? If so, what was your opinion on the dancing scene?

Hahahaha :D I have seen Alice in Wonderland and I found the dancing scene to be unspeakably appalling. Still, I feel strangely compelled to learn the inexcusably atrocious moves to said dance. Maybe you can learn it too, and in the future if I ever run into you (in a club or café or even perhaps just in the street) we can spontaneously break into that dance together and leave all the witnesses at the scene awe-struck. Let’s do!

7) What means the most to you, and why? This could be anything, an item, an emotion, a person, a place... you decide.

I would have to say my mother, because she is such an amazing person and my biggest source of support and inspiration.

8) Would you eat spaghetti with a spoon and fork, or a knife and fork?

Spoons make for easier noodle twirling.

9) Can I have a kitten?

I will give you an entire basketful of kittens! And I’ll put little bonnets and tiny earmuffs on their heads to keep their teeny kitten ears warm, and I’ll make miniature scarves for them to wear so they can be extra snuggly :)

10) Do you prefer hand-written letters, or emails?

Hand-written letters because I love to see other peoples’ handwriting.



Finally, I was tagged by the courageously strong, impressively intelligent, future astrophysicist Andy:

1. Where was your first kiss?

In a back alley with a neighbor boy named Adam. But it was a very elegant, romantic alley ;)

2. What are you feeling right now this very moment?

I am feeling like I could use some coffee. I have no idea why warm weather makes me crave coffee instead of lemonade or something else that is cold.

3. If you could fly, but had to leave everything behind, would you?

No, I think I have too much to leave behind.

4. What color are your socks?

One is black and one is blue…for some reason I have always had a hard time matching my socks.

5. Do you have a morning routine? What is it?

Do I ever! My OCD makes for very rigid routines. I wake up at 5 a.m. and walk, then I get ready for the day, then I drink a whole lot of coffee, then I get my niece and littlest nephew out of bed and make them breakfast and get them ready for school. Then I take my niece to second grade and take my nephew to preschool. When I get back I drink a whole lot more coffee, clean the house, do the dishes, and then I read the newspaper in a particular order while I eat breakfast in very ritualized (EDs suck suck suck) way which could be a whole blog post by itself :)

6. If the world was going to end tomorrow, how would you spend today?

I’m not sure, but I do know it would involve a whole lot of beer and cupcakes.

7. What is your favorite thing about yourself?

I feel really fortunate to have inherited my great grandmother’s patience.

8. What is your favorite quality in others?

Sincerity and kindness.

9. What is the scariest thing you've encountered?

I have kind of a strange life and I have encountered many scary situations. But I think the scariest moment for me was drowning in a lake when I was four years old.

10. When do you feel alive?

Whenever I am laughing really hard. Or when I see a beautiful sunrise or sunset, like this one from last night:




And now it is my turn to ask the questions. I am a notoriously bad decision maker, however, so I’m going to cheat a little bit here and tag anyone at all who wants to play or who has some extra time on their hands :)

What is your favorite line from a song?

What is your favorite quote from a book?

What was the single happiest day of your life?

What has been the most significant moment or event of your life this far?

If you could eradicate one emotion from mankind, which emotion would you remove?

If you had to be an inanimate object for one day, what would you be?

What is your favorite scent?

What is your favorite season and why?

If you could only celebrate one holiday a year, which holiday would you choose?

If you could have one superpower, what would you choose?

Phew! Okay, then :)

12 comments:

mariposai said...

I'm glad you got some nice questions this time, and your answers are fab.

I'm going to take the plunge and answer some of yours now :-) In a random nonsensical order!

If I could celebrate one holiday, it would be one where everyone from around the world could all celebrate at the same time and we could all have a huge massive party together. I like holidays to belong to everyone, someone should invent a totally universal one!

I kind of like all seasons. I love the cold bleakness and silvery frost of winter. I adore the new life that pops out at spring. I relish the warmer days of summer, and I marvel at the colours of autumn. Sorry that wasn't a very good answer.

Inanimate object? Hmm I would like to be a rainbow. Does that count? I want to soar through the sky and mediate between the sun and rain.

I wouldn't like to remove any emotions, because they are all so important, and we wouldn't be human without a single one.

Most significant event? Recovery. It's changed my life and enabled me to help others.

Ok I'm getting tired...sorry for being a little rebellious and weird with my answers ;)

Sarah x

Angela Elain Gambrel said...

I also will take the plunge. :)
In no particular order:

Song line:
"I am falling down the stairs
I am skipping on the sidewalk
I am thrown against the sky

I am raining down in pieces
I am scattering like light
Scattering like light ..."
(From "Small Blue Thing," Suzanne Vega. I often feel this way.)

Happiest day? When my husband asked me to marry him.

Most significant moment? When I met my current psychiatrist. He's currently trying to save me from myself and anorexia.

Scent? The smell of a crisp fall day, the mustiness of the leaves, the slight tang of the grasses preparing for winter, the last lingering scent of the dying flowers.

Favorite season: Autumn. Not only because of the above reasons (scents), but I feel more alive in the fall than any other time.

Holiday: I would celebrate Christmas. I love the music, the lights, the decorations and the keen sense of anticipation of the birth of my Savior.

One superpower: This is hard. But right now, I would have to say to eradicate eating disorders. I've seen too many lives destroyed by ED.

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

Oh that place in Norway sounds so wonderful that i just want to go there right. now. please. haha. and i have a fake tooth too!

Jessie said...

I want to go to your island too--it sounds beautiful. And I love Leonard Cohen's Suzanne.

Nicole said...

Sarah, I loved your answers! Your holiday idea is fabulous and I think you would make a perfect rainbow, because you are such a bright soul and you bring some much needed light into this dull gray world <3 I agree with you about the seasons, there is something that I love about each one, but Autumn and Spring are my favorite :) You are wonderful!

Angela,I love the song lyrics! I really like Suzanne Vega. The scents you chose are excellent and you've described them so beautifully that I can almost smell each one right now :) Christmas is one of my favorites as well, I love the music and I adore Christmas lights. I'm so gald that you have found a good psychiatrist to help you beat Ana. You are such an amazing person and you deserve a life free of an eating disorder prison.

Birdie and Jessie, I will save two cottages on the island especially for you! And Jessie, I'll be sure to bring my Leonard Cohen records and we can listen to them while we all fish in the sea :)

maryhadalittlelamb said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

I think I've said so before, but I am an avid lurker-and-occasional-commenter on yours, and I love and adore the way you write beyond the telling of it, so I feel happy and honoured to read your name on my comment list.

I also love the new questions you asked, because they do all of them make it rather hard to decide on an answer and are therefor fun and interesting to think about... I think I'll start answering them once I've finished writing up a blog post about my "blind date" yesterday (which was sort of catastrophic really, but hopefully makes for an entertaining story).

And thanks for the well-wishing about my mum, she's gotten better by now but is reeeeeally scared to leave the house on her own at the moment, I've done a lot of accompanying her to go grocery shopping and the like over the last few days...

Also, that's a gorgeous sunset and I agree on those sunrise/sunset moments making one feel very much alive.

all in the name of thin... said...

hello. im new to this, but im going to answer your questions because i loved your answers :)


What is your favorite line from a song?
"what you feel is what you are, and what you are is beautiful"
- goo goo dolls
it reminds me to feel beautiful when im down. its hard to believe it, but after a while, you start to feel slightly more confident. it means im less hard on myself when it comes to my piggyness.


What is your favorite quote from a book?
"the future isn't set in stone. things change."
- twilight
we all have the power to change our futures.


What was the single happiest day of your life?
on a school trip to sweden, we had an awesome day on the last day. it was warm, peaceful and the sun was setting for the day, and on our time there. laughing and swimming in the sea, we created so many great memories.


What has been the most significant moment or event of your life this far?
one of my schoolmates, D, dying. it made me realise to appreciate all the people around, and to stop pushing people away. the support for him whispered through everyone, and echoed everyones love. it was beautiful, and mirrored his character.


If you could eradicate one emotion from mankind, which emotion would you remove?
envy. it destroys lives. my mind continuously ticks over with jealousy of other girls- their physique, their happiness and their care-free atitudes- it ruins my mentality. only when i overcome it, will i have a chance to be truely happy with myself.


If you had to be an inanimate object for one day, what would you be?
a traffic light. observing everybody in their daily lives and their anonymity.

What is your favorite scent?
the smell of my granny's cheese scones when they're freshly baked. although i rarely venture to eat one, the smell "tastes" so good :)


What is your favorite season and why?
summer. it brightens my mood when im down. it reminds me of trips to the beach, playing games with friends we used to play when we were little, and it makes me feel carefree when im lying in my garden watching the clouds pass over me.


If you could only celebrate one holiday a year, which holiday would you choose?
christmas. the whole family has to be happy- its obligatory. nobody cares what im eating, as long as im happy. that one day has to be cherished.


If you could have one superpower, what would you choose?
reading of people's minds. but only the good thoughts. i have enough bad thoughts, thank you. itd make me feel positive in my outlook, and let me see the nice-ness in people and reduce my shield to those who really do appreciate and love me.


you chose awesome questions. theyr hard to answer because theres so many possibilities.
i love your blogs- i can relate to so much, and it gives me strength to realise someone else has the power to overcome the hurdles. its inspirational.

much love xxx

Anonymous said...

You and your writing are heart-breakingly beautiful. Which is why I appreciate the comment you left me all the more, so endless thank you's for that. And I'm sorry if my lack of comments on your blog might imply indifference, but it is most definitely the opposite. I blame my shy nature, even in the land of blogspot. So many hugs back to you! Sincere and very-tight hugs!
PS - you make me miss Colorado.

maryhadalittlelamb said...

Hey, it's me, cluttering your comment box again :)

I just wanted to respond to your comment, thanks for everything you said, and I'm glad you liked the story!
I did feel a tiny bit guilty and impolite leaving like that, but ultimately it just felt like the right and just thing to do, that guy sort of had it coming.

I also agree with what you said about my mother - I have felt in the past couple of days that our relationship DID improve unexpectedly through the closeness of her needing my assistance and me giving it to her.
It feels like a terrible thought in a way, that she has to be "weak" and needy in front of me for once in order to "get" what it's like - but I am not complaining, as it has us being very kind with each other and that is most definitely a good thing.

Seriously, thanks again, your comment meant a lot to me and it gave me a literally warm and fuzzy feeling to be called kindhearted by a wonderful and empathetic person such as yourself.
*huuuuuuge e-hug*

elk said...

I really loved reading your answers to these. It's little questions like these that let us learn about the person. I may come back and answer one or two :)
But first...

I think you made me blush. I think you paid me the highest compliment. And I think you made a fairly accurate (if accuracy is possible where things constantly shift.) interpretation.
I developed the circle habit when I dropped out of uni. My mind was incomprehensible at the time and suddenly I found the act of drawing like this (or a more embryonic form of it) calming. The act of doing. It's a year or two later now, and they've developed more meaning and internal logicalities and systems and rules. Not that I could fully explain them. Something about orbits and cosmogonies and cartographies and reinterpretation of existing fact and knowledge collection and the inevitable failure of trying to know it all. I think. I'm sort of in love with Jorge Luis Borges so that might explain alot. :)
I'm wary about sticking visual stuff on my blog, not because I worry about outside opinions (I've learnt to accept what I do, like my nose and feet etc, and different people appreciate different things), but because I want to remain unidentified by people I know in life...and people who know me know what I do in terms of my 'style'.
Still, this waryness is making me write more often, in way more separated from 'work', which in turn helps me understand what I may otherwise contemplate in circles (or just justifies another form of procrastination).

p.s. I've never read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence. I used to eye it in a second hand shop. I may well pick it up next time I come across it.

p.p.s. I really appreciated that comment. It made me feel like my inability to shift away from these works isn't a bad thing, because there are people who 'get it' in their own way. I like leaving things open ended or half hidden, because who am I to determine how something should be read? The imagination and thoughts of the other person are just as, if not more, important.
sorry for the essay :)
xx

maryhadalittlelamb said...

Ok, now I am seriously cluttering, but your comment meant a lot to me, and again I needed to respond.

I know you are right, too, about the nasty voices - it's just so hard to ignore them, and more often than not I feel like I cannot find the strength, like I can't even make myself want to find it.

One of the reasons I admire you so much, is that you seem to have found a way to come up with that strength and deal with the lies that our own mind tells us time and again, and you are doing so great in observing them and taking care of yourself.

You are a wonderful inspiration in that way, and your blog is, and I'm not being corny if I say that I would one day like to aspire to be as strong and compassionate and insightful as you are.

*hugs*

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

you haven't blogged in awhile but just wanted to let you know i love you and am thinking of you!