windowlights

windowlights

Friday, April 23, 2010

Letters

Do you ever get tired of speaking? I am so tired of speaking, I want to pretend I’m mute so I don’t have to talk anymore. I would rather write letters to everyone, like the main character does for a little while in How the Light Gets In by M.J. Hyland. I’m able to say so much more through writing.

I’ve had a rough week. I was attempting to explain my fear of food to my nutritionist and I couldn’t form the right words. I feel like such a stupid idiot when I try to talk to her. I would rather write it out in a letter to her instead:

Dear Nutritionist,

Sometimes, when I’m sitting across from you in your office and watching as you try to manage your frustration with me, I wish you would just scream that you hate me and kick me out of your building. I would prefer that kind of unabashed, blunt honesty to your passive aggressive body language of sitting with your legs crossed tight, one arm pulled firmly across your stomach while the other is planted on your knee, your fingers picking imaginary lint from your pants before flicking the invisible bits in my direction. I don’t think you realize you do this, but you do this.

I’m trying to explain to you why I’m afraid of food. Why I’m scared of the carbs in potatoes, but not the carbs in wheat bread. Why I’m terrified of the fat in cheese, but not the fat in milk or yogurt. Why I’m afraid of eating lunch, but not afraid of dinner. Your lips are pursed and you ask me if logic ever plays a part in my decision making. And then you explain, very slowly and for the umpteenth time, that my body needs fuel and that fats aren’t fattening. I want to tell you that I’m aware of this, that I know my fear of food is unfounded and this is all in my head, but it doesn’t make my fear any less real and it doesn’t make my anxiety go away.

I’m afraid and I don’t know how to put my fear into words. I try to make my mouth form the explanations, but as usual, I mess everything up and my sentences sound like incoherent garbles plopping out of my mouth, cluttering up your tidy office with illogical nonsense. I mess everything up. My mind is always in disarray, and my feelings about food are all tangled up with fear and dread and panic. I don’t know, for example, how to explain that when I feel full from eating it makes me feel like I’m suffocating, like I’m trapped.

It’s the same feeling I used to get when I was in Junior High School, when all of these problems with food first started to surface. It was a very rough school. Our building was next to a huge dilapidated graveyard which served as a resting place for pioneers who died in the 1800’s. There were large metal fences lined with barbed wire that separated the student body from the multitude of decrepit tombstones jutting out from the ground like broken, crooked teeth; a mess of crumbling grave markers surrounded by overgrown weeds and dying grass. Everywhere I looked, there were fences armed with that sharp barbed wire and it felt like we were stuck in some sort of a prison.

It was a rough school. Major fights broke out every week, usually around our lunch period. I’d often get stuck in the huge crowds that would suddenly form out of nowhere, as everyone moved in fast to surround whoever was brawling that week. I would be trapped in the swarm, unable to move, unable to get away until the security guards would break through the mass of people and stop the fight. Do you know what that’s like? Do you know what it’s like to have to see someone get punched in the face until their nose breaks? Do you know what it’s like to be trapped motionless in a mob of people who are shouting and yelling, and you can’t break free? Do you know what it’s like to be unable to move, to be frozen in place and have to watch as someone falls backwards and cracks their head open on a doorknob? To watch the cops drop to their knees and try to help someone who is seizing in a puddle of blood on the floor?

I know what that’s like. I had to see it all the time. And it usually happened at lunch. It was a very rough school. That’s when my appetite started to disappear. That’s when my stomach started twisting into tight knots and eating became painful and I found that I could no longer handle the food at lunch. That’s when I started to associate feeling full with feeling trapped and paralyzed. That’s when my fear replaced my logic. I wanted to disappear. I was always afraid and I could not manage my fear. But I could manage what I ate, and it made me feel better to have some sort of control over something.

Does logic ever play a part in your decisions?

I’m just afraid. And I know it’s not logical, but the fear is still with me and it is still very real. I want to explain this. But even if I could, I know my explanation would not suffice. All of this happened years and years ago. I should be over my fear by now. It isn’t logical. But I am still afraid. And I am very, very sad.

I understand your frustration with me. I’m frustrated with me too. I don’t like having to be in my head anymore than you do. But you just have to be in here for an hour, and I never get to leave. I’m stuck here trying to make sense out of all of this, sifting through these broken pieces. I’m trapped. And the fear is always here.

I promise you, though, that I’m trying really hard to break free. I’m just stuck in the swarm right now and it’s hard to move. I am exhausted. But I’m trying. I am afraid. But I’m trying. I promise.

Sincerely,
Nicole


Lots of love to all of you <3

10 comments:

mariposai said...

You should give her that letter. Seriously it is so well written, and I've seen that kind of body language before...you describe it well, such a poignant piece with hints of humour.

This nutritionist of yours sounds like she could use some compassion. I often wonder how some people become health professionals in the first place.

Don't be frustrated with you, be frustrated with the eating disorder. Eventually you'll find a way out that works for you, and recovery will be yours :-)

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Don't worry that its illogical - it's an eating disorder, it never is logical. You shouldn't feel the need to apologise for that - none of my many, and conflicting rules make sense either.

Keep trying
xxx

Jessie said...

I'm really sorry that you're having such a hard time with your nutritionist. I hate the attitude that you should just be logical. If it was that easy, everyone would just do it! And I too feel like I can express myself better through writing--I remember thinking that I'd like to the same thing when I read How the Light Gets In. And I went a middle school that sounds pretty similar to your high school and it was so terrifying for me.

I think you should consider giving her the letter--it might be awkward but it might also make her stop and think.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I too often wish I could just write things out. Words come out of my mouth clunky and strange. They do not make sense, and my tongue feels heavy, and I spin and I cannot think straight.

Your letter is so real. It's bursting with your feelings and thoughts and it is beautiful, and even if you do not give her this letter, I think it is a great show of how strong you are, and your progress in recovery.

you are so inspiring nicole.
just lovely.

Love, Andy

Bee said...

Your writing is so beautiful, I've been appreciating it all week. I'm glad I stumbled across this space. Logic is overrated, especially in this arena. Do you have any access to somatic or breathwork practitioners? Talk therapy and I are taking a break and it's been helpful. Just a thought. Mostly wanted to say thank you for the lovely pieces. -Quinn

Angela said...

Eating disorders are not logical, and your idiot nutritionist should know this! I too have many illogical rules when it comes to food and eating. That is normal, and she shouldn't guilt you into feeling bad about it. You just have to challenge those rules one at a time. Take it slow because it has taken years to get to where you are. I agree that maybe you should give her the letter that you wrote. It really might help her to gain some insight into what it is like to live inside of your head. I'm here for you, and I know how hard you are fighting, even if your N doesn't get it. Sending you so much love<3<3<3

Anonymous said...

Your letter is inspiring ,You should give it to your nutritonist

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

I have never seen a fight before. I never realized how lucky I am until now.

Nicole, my Lord in Heaven, your words always touch me. I actually can't relate to not wanting to talk because I-unfortuantely- ALWAYS want to talk. it's awful. I blame it on mania ;) but it's just really my personality.

however, if you ever want to exchange emails I am all for it! I love emailing or writing letters or anything of the sort and I've sort of always wanted your email address so we could talk because I just adore you :)

loveloveloveyou!

Radagast said...

Hey,

I just dropped by to let you know that I'm awarding you the Passionate Blogger award... I'm nearly done drafting the post, so maybe drop by a little later, to pick it up (http://itsquiteanexperience.blogspot.com/)?

Matt

PS Is the title taken from "Suzanne" ("and she shows you where to look among the garbage and the flowers, there are heroes in the seaweed...")?

Radagast said...

Done: http://itsquiteanexperience.blogspot.com/2010/05/passionate-blogger-ii.html

Matt

PS Was the Cohen quotation in the header, before?.. I must learn to be more observant!