windowlights

windowlights

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Attics

"I will love the light for it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars." ~Og Mandino

When I was little, my favorite thing to do during the winter was to sit in my grandma’s attic and watch the snow fall. My grandmother’s house faced an old street that was paved in bricks and sparsely lined with streetlights. I would sit by the window, my head resting against the cold glass and watch the snowflakes drift down to the sidewalks through the streetlights’ orange glow.

Now, my therapist’s office is in the attic of an old Victorian mansion. Twice a week I climb up an antique staircase, pass a huge stain-glass window, and continue up two more flights of stairs until I come to her heavy wooden door and knock.

The house where my therapist works is eerily similar to a house that has regularly appeared in my dreams ever since I was very young. And, equally as eerie, in my dreams I am always locked in the attic. I’ve heard that when houses appear in our dreams they represent us, and attics are a symbol of our heads/minds. So, I think it is quite fitting that each week I meet my therapist in an attic to talk about my brain that has been broken by this pesky eating disorder I’ve had for about fifteen years.

I don’t know how to describe anorexia, really. It is very complex. The surface problem is with food and eating, but that is only how the disorder manifests itself. It really doesn’t have a whole lot to do with food or eating, and has more to do with having overwhelmingly intense anxiety, deep depression, and an extremely low self worth. It’s not so much a loss of appetite as it is a complete loss of self. And recovery isn’t so much about learning how to eat again (though that’s obviously part of it) but more about learning how to live again and how to regain a lost identity, a buried self. Confusing, I know.

Researchers, therapists, and doctors in the eating disorder field have found that anorexics share certain personality traits, such as being over achievers, people-pleasers, perfectionists, and highly attuned to others’ emotions, wants and needs. They are often empathetic motherly types and many anorexics are in caretaker roles. They tend to be “others-centered” rather than “self-centered,” which might sound nice, but anorexics take everything to the extreme. We have no sense of balance or limits and we end up obliterating ourselves. We deny our own needs and wants, burying them so deep that it gets to the point where we can’t even fulfill our first and most basic need, which is to eat. We become robots, machines, mannequins. We—figuratively and literally—disappear. Why do we do this? Some say it’s like a penance. We feel so unworthy of existence, so certain that we will be abandoned by everyone if we don’t constantly please them, that we give away our entire selves trying to prove how sorry we are for breathing or for taking up space, and to prove that maybe we are in fact worthy of your time.

Jenni Schaefer, one of the most famous recovered anorexics, compares an eating disorder to an abusive husband, which is incredibly accurate. Eating disorders hover over our shoulders 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, constantly reminding us that we are fat, pathetic, selfish, disgusting, weak, stupid. Eating disorders isolate us by convincing us that we are burdens, that we ruin everything, that we are unworthy of love, friends, and of course, food. It really is a sort of penance, a never-ending apology for existing.

I sit with my therapist in an attic and face the window. We lay out all of my broken pieces and begin arranging them into some sort of picture, like a stain-glass window pattern or an emerging constellation in a sky full of scattered stars.

I sit with my therapist in an attic and face the window. Sometimes, snow is falling outside. Sometimes, it’s just the dark. But sometimes, I can see the stars.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Beautiful writing, and great description of how anorexia presents itself. The office of your therapist sounds like a very comforting place for you. Mine is for me also. Sometimes when I'm very anxious, I imagine myself curled up on the couch in her office, where she drapes a blanket over me, and kisses me on the forehead. Very comforting when I'm in pain.
Keep on writing and fighting. Your courage in facing this disorder is so inspiring, and I love you very much<3

Nicole said...

Thank you so much, Angie, I love your writing too :)

My therapist's office is probably one of my absolute favorite places to be and I do find it very comforting. I carry her business card with me in my pocket, and when I am very anxious I hold onto it and think about the attic and it helps to calm me down.

You always inspire me and I love you very much too <3

Life With the Hobans said...

This is very enlightening. It's amazing to see how similiar anorexia is to over eating, as in my case. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this, you will forever be the brave, funny, spunky little 8 year old that I adored and wished was my sister when we were kids. Funny how you freeze people at certain ages.

Nicole said...

Awww, Anna, if only we could forever be 8 years old catching grasshoppers and watching the clouds in your backyard! Those were such great days :)

Eating disorders may express themselves differently through binging, purging, restricting, etc... but they are all coping mechanisms for essentially the same core issues such as depression, anxiety, and low self esteem.

Have you ever heard of the website Something Fishy? It is one of the best sites for ED recovery and they address every kind of eating disorder there is. There's tons of info and resources if you want to check them out. Here's the URL: http://www.something-fishy.org/

If you need any help at all, just let me know. Struggling with an eating disorder can make you feel very alone, but know that you are not alone and there are so many people who are going through the same thing and can identify with you :)

BrightenedBoy said...

I had to come back and read your first post. This is so beautiful. I particularly liked the ending. It's good to see the stars.

Nic said...

I am here and learning. It is long overdue. This afternoon is all about learning about my beautiful friend. xxxxx