“Wherever I sat—on the deck of a ship or at a street café in Paris or Bangkok—I would be sitting under the same glass bell jar, stewing in my own sour air.“ ~Sylvia Plath
At least once a week I tell my therapist “I’m stuck in the bell jar. Again.” She knows that when I say this it means I am feeling sad, lonely, disconnected, and detached. It feels like I’m an invisible ghost who can see the world unfolding but who cannot, in turn, be seen by the world. It feels like I am just going through the motions of my life, but not really participating in my life. Confusing, I know. It is a strange sensation, but my therapist tells me that this is actually a common feeling in people with eating disorders. It’s because we tend to always put up a false front of being very happy and with-it and enthusiastic, even though inside we are feeling miserable and empty and lonely. The people around us attach to the false, robotic, “everything is always fine and I am always fine” self we put on display (the bell jar), and our real selves are buried, ignored and hidden deep within (the ghost inside the bell jar).
The more we ignore our real selves in favor of our false selves, the more disconnected and detached we feel. This is why we can be lonely even when we are completely surrounded by people. For me, loneliness has little to do with actually being alone and much more to do with this feeling of being disconnected from the people around me. When I ignore, bury, reject and deny my authentic self in favor of wearing my robotic, smiling mask and let people attach to this mask, this false self, the feelings of disconnectedness and loneliness intensify.
I know this, and yet I am still so afraid of being less than a robot. It’s just what I am so accustomed to and it feels the most familiar. I’m really bad at expressing or even acknowledging my emotions, and usually when I am sad or depressed on the inside, I will overcompensate by being extra cheery, happy, and enthusiastic on the outside. In fact, it is during the times when I have been at my absolute lowest that I have received the most compliments about my positive, optimistic attitude, cheerfulness, big smile, etc… I guess I have a deep fear of rejection. I’m afraid that if I am less than perfect, if I show my true emotions instead of constantly people-pleasing, I will be rejected or abandoned. So I wear the smiling mask. And it can get pretty exhausting. It’s like Tori Amos says, “An angel’s face is tricky to wear constantly.” Yep.
But I do have people in my life who have managed to break through the glass of my bell jar. I have a few safe people that I talk with openly about my struggles with my depression and my eating disorder, and they, in turn, are very open and honest about their own struggles. And it is when I’m communicating with these people that my bell jar lifts and I finally experience those authentic, genuine connections that help me to feel like I am a part of the world, rather than apart from the world. I see and hear and understand, and likewise, I am seen and heard and understood. Connected.
So I have to remember that taking off my smiling robot mask will not always automatically result in people running away in the opposite direction when they find out that I am not (gasp!) perfect.
My therapist told me at our last session: “You’ve done a great job with building your self image, now you need to focus on building your actual self, your real self.”
So that is my next step. Easier said than done, considering I have no clue who I am :)
12 comments:
This is the scariest part of recovery - trying to build an identity beyond the ED (or outside the bell jar as you so beautifully put it). At one time I wanted to remain safely concealed inside it, but ultimately this existence becomes suffocating. If you take that leap of faith and step into the real world, you start to find out who you are, discover talents you never knew you had, and build a new and better life.
No one ever really knows who they are, but we get a much better idea without an eating disorder in the way.
Self discovery is an exciting journey and I'm looking forward to reading about yours :-)
Sarah x
Thank you, Sarah, I really appreciate that :)
You are right, stepping outside of the bell jar is very frightening, but it's definitely better than suffocating inside. I need to remember that.
Thank you!
I think that's a really good idea, but it's not as easy as it sounds, of course.
I actually got excited when reading this because I so know what you mean. At work I am the bubbly happy laughing funny person that people really love but as soon as they leave the room, I let my breath and I feel empty and lonely (that lonely with lots of people feeling - detached) and it's awful.
Oh, also I love Tori Amos, have been following her right back from her first album. That's how I got the name of my blog. This lunatic express are some words she says in Almost Rosey and I think it suits me, lol! Thanks for your comments by the way.
*hugs*
Sarah
I agree, Avy, it's definitely going to be a challenging process.
Thanks for understanding, Sarah. I know that empty feeling well, and you are right, it is awful. Tori rocks! :) Boys for Pele is my favorite album of hers. Almost Rosey is a fabulous song! And The Lunatic Express is an absolutely fabulous blog :)
It is so exhausting to constantly wear the smiling, happy mask. I'm really working on expressing my true feelings, especially with my husband, and I do feel a weight lifting when I manage to do this. I also find that the more I talk in my recovery group, the more free I feel. I didn't think that I would like the group thing, but I do feel like it is breaking down some of my walls. Have you thought about an ED group? Keep trying to express those buried emotions. I know how hard that is though! Love you!!!<3
*hugs*
I was so glad to read your comment and hear that you are also working on expressing your true emotions and that you are experiencing some relief when you are honest with your husband. And that's awesome that you are liking your recovery group and are tearing down your walls and feeling some freedom. That is such good news!! I am really proud of you :)
It is difficult to express all of these buried feelings, isn't it? Not only difficult, but it also feels unfamiliar and strange. And not just for us, but for the people around us who are so accustomed to our masks. Oh well, it's just going to take a lot of practice and getting used to, for us and those around us as well.
It's so important to express those emotions though, because simply ignoring and burying our emotions does not make them disappear, it only allows them to fester and grow until they overwhelm us. I think that also contributes to the 'trapped' feeling. We feel trapped by the ED and also trapped by pent up emotions. So getting those emotions out of our system before they overwhelm us is definitely a key to recovery and freedom.
You're doing such a good job, Angie, and I am really proud of you! Stay strong <3
*hugs*
Nicole
P.S. I love you too!!! <3<3<3
I can relate so much to the feeling of being lonely even around people. You're right, it's not about being alone, it's about being disconnected. I'm glad that you have people you can talk to and who can break through the bell jar.
Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog recently :-) Means alot to me...xxx
Jessie, thank you for understanding. I feel fortunate to have people who are able to break through the bell jar. I hope you have some of those people in your life as well :)
Sarah, of course! I love your blogs, they are fabulous :)
Are we twins, separated at birth?!
Post a Comment