windowlights

windowlights

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wings

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about.” -Rumi

When I was young, I used to fly. I would run to the park after school and spend my afternoons swinging on the swing set, kicking my legs to get as high as I possibly could before hurling myself out into the air, over the sand and the grass. For a few moments, I would float against the sky before descending back down to the ground beneath my turquoise Converse high tops. I’d twist my ankle or jam my foot or tumble onto my back. I’d laugh and do it again. And again. Until the sun touched the horizon, which was my curfew back then.

I soared.


* * *

My therapist asks me, “What does fear feel like? When you are afraid, where do you feel it in your body?”

I feel it in my legs. My knees shake and it’s hard to make my feet move. Fear is heavy.

* * *

On the merry-go-round, I would perch on the edge of the bars, tightening my grip on the sun-scorched metal as it spun faster and faster. When it hit the right speed, I would fling my feet off of the rim and hold onto the bars with all of my strength. For a brief instant, I would be suspended in the air, my arms as straight as I could get them, my hands still clinging to the bars. And then I’d let go. I would land in the rocks and my arms and elbows would be scraped and bleeding. I’d laugh and do it again. And again. Until the sun touched the horizon.

I flew.


* * *

My therapist asks me, “When you are sad, where do you feel it in your body?”

I feel it in my arms. They go limp and feel like they’re made of cement. I feel it in my heart. Like it’s an exhausting effort for it just to keep beating. I feel defeated and heavy. Depression is heavy.

* * *

On Sunday afternoons, my neighbor Matt and I would race across the prairies to reach a set of grassy green hills that we would climb up and roll down over and over again. Until the stretch of streetlights lined along the neighborhood sidewalks would start to switch on, which was his curfew back then. We would tumble for hours down those hills, laughing the whole time, until we were so dizzy and punch-drunk that we couldn’t stand anymore. We’d collapse side by side in the grass, out of breath and our stomachs sore from laughing, floating outside of ourselves: up into the swirling, fading colors of the sky above us. And then we’d tumble down the hills again. And again. Until the streetlights flickered on and lit up the sidewalks.

We’d laugh and laugh as we staggered back to our houses in the twilight.

I floated.


* * *

My therapist asks me, “When you are resentful, where do you feel it in your body?"

I feel it in the pit of my stomach. Like I’ve been punched. Like I’m weighted down with stones. Everything is heavy.

* * *

What happened to me, to you, to all of us?

I used to fly.

When did it all become so heavy? When did I step through this twisted mirror where everything feels like cement, where flying and landing morph into falling and crashing?

I used to float.

How do I get back to those hills?

9 comments:

Sairs said...

I like how you describe feeling when you were flying and floating. It makes me think of those times myself when I was so happy as a child. When did that happy girl turn into a frightened and worried woman, depressed and scared of food. Sometimes I wish I could just turn it off and be free of it, however, in a way, going through this process, when I am at the end, will make me lighter. But this time, I will appreciate the journey so much more. Thanks for your lovely comments!
*hugs*
Sarah

mariposai said...

Beautiful writing as ever. We can never become children again, but we can reclaim some of that youthful innocence and enjoyment. Recovery felt like a second childhood to me, like being born again and learning everything from scratch...I experienced things in new and exciting ways, but the process is hard. Like my fellow Sarah says, the journey by virtue of what it entails makes us lighter and more appreciative.

Nurture that inner child ;)

Sarah x

Nicole said...

Sairs, thank you for reminding me that recovery is a journey which, in the end, will help us to appreciate life so much more. You are lovely :)

Sarah, you are brilliant. You are so right, recovery is very much like being reborn and experiencing a second childhood since we do have to start from scratch. I love the way you put that! It's like I'm learning how to walk again, and at first my steps are pretty shaky and unsteady, and each step takes much focus and concentration. I fall a lot, but the important thing is to stand up and try again, because recovery is the path that leads back to those hills, the way to find the inner child that has for so long been silenced. Thank you so much for sharing this with me, Sarah, it is so true and it's a great way to view recovery.

You are both so lovely, thank you! :)

*hugging two Sarahs at once*
:)
Nicole

Angela said...

This made me cry because I always wish that I could somehow return and recapture my lost childhood, before I realized that this world was not always a good place, and people could hurt you. In many ways I mentally feel stuck in childhood, but wanting to go back also keeps us stuck in our recovery. We have to be present with the moment so that we can move forward. Your writing is beautiful, and always moves me. I'm so glad that you are writing and sharing more. I hope that it is helping:) It sounds like you are really working on getting in touch with your feelings with the help of your therapist. Keep working! I know it takes a lot of practice, but we are going to do this. I can feel it!
Love you tons<3

Nicole said...

Thank you so much, Angie, I love your writing as well :) That is so kind of you to say and I really appreciate it. It definitely helps me to write all of this out and work through my emotions.

You're right we are going to do this! Stay strong :)

Lots of love <3<3<3

Jessie said...

I too always feel like if I could just get back to those times when I felt free and uninhibited, I could somehow make things better. But of course, we can't go back there. We can only take what we have now and do the best we can with it. In a lot of ways though recovery is kind of like a chance to start over in that we are rebuilding our lives almost from scratch. And although that's frightening, there's also a lot of freedom in it. And I can so relate to the physicality of fear and resentment and all of that--I too feel resentment like a knot in my gut.

Nicole said...

Jessie, you are right, we can never go back but we can always rebuild. That is definitely something I need to remember and I can use that as motivation for recovery.

It makes me sad to think about how much space in my mind is cluttered up with memorized nutrition labels, calorie information, diet regimins, exercise routines, etc..., instead of more moments and memories like the ones that made up my childhood. I have to remind myself that life wasn't always so rigid. It wasn't always like this and it doesn't have to stay like this.

Thank you :)
Nicole

les jeune fille à les oiseaux said...

your blog is my absoute favorite to read. honestly, the way you express yourself is so profound and poignant. i think i'm addicted.

Nicole said...

Awww, you are the absolute sweetest! Thank you so much, you have made my day :)