I would love to have the ability to read minds just so I could hear the music that plays in peoples’ heads throughout the day. I have no idea why this fascinates me so much, but I love to know the different kind of songs that play in the background of someone’s mind as they go about their day: when they’re on a walk, running errands, sweeping the floor, sitting at a desk, washing dishes, looking out of a window, etc…
I like to think of the countless soundtracks that accompany all of our daily lives, and how each person has an ever-changing array of songs in their minds that play throughout the day.
The other morning, I was standing outside on the lawn watching the sunrise. Outside, everything was exceptionally quiet, just a few birds chirping in the tree branches above my head, which was also fairly quiet for once. A rare moment of peace. I stood still in the grass—a myriad of crooked blades sparkling white with frost—and watched the fog of my breath roll from my mouth and disintegrate against the early morning sky filled with sunrays breaking through pale pink clouds edged in glowing orange.
And then this song started playing very clearly in my head:
I realized that this song has been playing on a loop in my mind for a week straight, I just hadn’t really been paying attention to it because there is usually so much clutter and noise in my head that I only catch a snippet of the music playing in the background of it. Maybe this song has been in my mind because the weather here lately has been pretty drizzly and the song reminds me of raindrops.
Anyway, I don’t have many moments like this where my head is so quiet that I can distinctly hear an entire song play from start to finish, and I was grateful to have such a moment come along while I stood in front of that beautiful sunrise.
12 comments:
I've never really taken notice of the songs that play in my head in the background, but they do.
That is so cool.
I wish I realized little things like that.
And wondered about other peoples perceptions.
I'm in awe.
Like that is really just so cool to me!
Love, Andy
What a beautiful post. I had never really thought about the fact that there really is music playing in my head all of the time. That is a lovely thought. I'm glad that you could slow down enough to take the time and listen to it. You are an amazing person Nicole, and I'm so grateful for your friendship. Like Andy said, "I'm in awe!"
Sending you love and hugs <3
ooooohhh, I always get songs stuck in my head so much so that I can have them in my dreams all night and on a few occasions have woken up singing. I hate that! It can get completely overwhelming and the same song can last for days. I refrained from listening to the song you posted, because I don't want to have get stuck in my head, lol. My old boss told me that this is called an ear worm. I think that is hilarious!
*hugs*
Sarah
The idea of our minds being full of music is...a beautiful image. The thought of little voices singing melodies inside our heads, lots of different songs, a soundtrack to life. Eventually you will kick the ED out of your life, and there will be more and more space for that beautiful music inside you.
I love that you observed this moment and were mindful of it. Your astuteness and sensitivity will no doubt lead you to a lovely recovery :-)
Sarah x
Awww, you girls are too kind :) I'm the one who is in awe of all of you! Thank you all, you made my day :)
Wow,that's interesting! Sometimes songs reflects on that person's personality or maybe just something that they are going through right now.
Very true, little flower :)
Hey Nicole. I found your blog through Avy's, and I find it inspiring. You seem like a nice person.
:)
xx,
~Abby~
Awww, that is so sweet of you to say, Abby :) Thank you!
it would be interesting to hear what music people play in their heads... i wish i could say something sophisticated like Opera or Classical plays in mine, haha.
You and I write alike. It feels strange to recognize that.
Have you ever had someone say, "There's this girl, who works in the mall [etc.], and she looks so much like you!"?
When that happens, I want to see that girl. But I'm afraid. I am afraid of discovering how and what others see me to be. I never do go and see the girl.
But, you know - maybe you don't write like me. Maybe I just feel your writing as I feel mine. Or maybe I read your writing as I write mine.
It's hard to tell now.
Ania, I understand what you are saying :) I can relate to this feeling because I have also come across other writers who seem to be on the same wavelength that I am on, and there is something so nostalgic about their words. It feels almost like home,or as though we have identical narrators inside our heads :)
At any rate, I'm glad you were here.
*hugs*
Nicole
Post a Comment